Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
Andela’s Technology department is charged with implementing the technology needed to support and scale the two sides of Andela’s business. Learning technology to help create rich, immersive, learning experiences for our developers. Delivery technology to allow us to expand our partnerships and providing great tools to the teams that support them.
In this role, you will primarily work as a Engineering Director for Learning technology, overseeing multiple scrum teams of up to 10 engineers located across NYC, Lagos and Nairobi.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
- Be a combination of a highly-technical engineering background and an effective people manager
- Participate in all aspects of the design, development, and deployment of all learning technology
- Responsible for the long-term architecture roadmap and direction of learning technology
- Develop team and individual KPIs aligned with the Technology Department’s goals and Andela’s strategic goals
- Develop and deploy new strategies for building a high velocity, high-performance engineering organization in line with our emerging business needs
- Continually evaluate and evolve the software architecture to support the rapidly growing business
- Manage recruiting, headcount and planning, career growth and training for the learning technology organization
- Communicate technical concepts to business stakeholders as well as communicate business objectives to the technical team
- Inter-Departmental collaboration with
- Engineering Managers to ensure collaboration across the Engineering department
- Product Managers to advocate for and ensure the prioritization of technical initiatives
- Cross-Departmental collaboration with other departments inside Andela
- Manage vendor and external relationships as needed
- Support with budget creation, monitoring and adherence responsibilities
- 7+ years of software development experience
- 5+ years experience managing and growing software engineering teams (of 10+ engineers) as a people manager
- Strong understanding of computer science principles, system design, and architecture
- Experience building SaaS products, specifically ed-tech or learning technology
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- A strong desire to mentor software engineers
- Have ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Have strong leadership skills
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family Interested? If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.