West Africa Container Terminal (WACT) is one of the first green field container terminals to be built in Nigeria under public private partnership. WACT is located in Onne port (some 30kms from Port-Harcourt) in Rivers State. We have been successfully connecting East, North, West Central Nigeria and Rivers state to the world. This has been possible through top-quality services, cordial business relations with customers, regular interaction with stakeholders, human resource development, modern handling equipment and superior e-commerce capabilities.
An exciting career opportunity which will give you the opportunity to develop your professional skills in a global environment by achieving expertise and learning on the job.
- To carry out all maintenance repairs and modifications on MHC, RTG, SP and other plant and equipment in accordance with the requirements of the Code of Practice and the Occupational Health and Safety Act. Ensuring high standards are maintained.
- To evaluate and analyse the nature, cause and perform the repairs of breakdowns. Determining the optimal way of dealing with the problem, to achieve a quality and cost-effective solution, as well as minimal downtime and maximum Operational availability of MHC, RTG, SP and other equipment.
- Use sound knowledge of rigging procedures to recover equipment from quay and yard due to accidents as efficiently as possible, ensuring minimal delays to operations.
- Have sufficient knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Act. Enforce safe working procedures, for the purpose of safety of employees and people around you.
- To carry out repairs to defects as per Examiners defect list. To ensure safe working and minimize breakdowns to machinery and equipment.
- Troubleshoot and effect repairs on mechanical components and hydraulic circuits, control systems, tires (and some electrical) component elements. This includes the modification of components and servicing techniques in conjunction with the MHC & RTG Fore-man and or MHC & RTG Supervisor to improve efficiency;
- Test equipment to ensure compliance with specification and safety standards;
- Service, repair, deploy, remove and stow away equipment as required using safe driving techniques and safe parking procedures;
- Execute maintenance schedule as directed by MHC & RTG Fore-man and or MHC & RTG Supervisor;
- Provide feedback to MHC & RTG Fore-man and or MHC & RTG Supervisor on job progress;
- Identify components to be overhauled;
We are looking for
- Trade Test / Certificate / Diploma as Mechanic.
- Mobile Harbor Cranes, Rubber Tyred Gantry and Spreaders will be an advantage
- 3-5-year experience as Mechanic in any ports, mines, steel and manufacturing plants plus shift working experience.
- Self-motivated, Analytical and systematic
- Requires the ability to follow instructions and work day plan
- Requires knowledge of wide range of mechanical and electrical equipment, industrial control systems, variable drive systems, hydraulic, pneumatic systems and their controls.
- Must be able to troubleshoot / diagnose / identify mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic problems, and provide solutions.
- Requires the ability to be responsive to emergency repairs with quality workmanship and service.
- Requires keeping work area organized, neat and efficiently planned (5S).
- Requires the ability to learn fast.
- Knowledge and ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and schematics, service & parts manuals for various equipment will be an advantage.
- Basic Electrical Knowledge will be an advantage
- PC Literate will be an advantage