Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalysing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
Andela’s Technology department is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality while providing excellent service internally and externally. It is responsible for finding the best solution for Andela’s needs, not necessarily the best solution that Andela can build.
In this role, you will primarily work as a Engineering Manager within the Technology department as a people manager of up to 10 engineers, providing mentoring and coaching to the engineers, and maintaining innovative processes that monitor the health of the engineering team.
- Be a combination of a highly-technical software engineer and an effective people manager
- Recruit Technical Team Leads (TTLs) and Senior Engineers (SEs)
- Identify potential candidates that best fit the role
- Interview prospective TTLs and SEs to ensure fit
- Facilitate onboarding of TTLs and SEs, in collaboration with Ops and P&C teams
- Manage, measure and improve engineering processes
- Onboarding and offboarding process
- Software development process
- Manage up to 10 engineers
- Manage team members with different skill sets and technical areas of focus
- Mentor and coach the engineers and ensure their success
- Encourage and promote best engineering practices with the engineers
- Encourage a data-driven culture with the engineers to improve the efficiency, scalability, and stability of our in-house systems
- Support the engineers in identifying, resolving and escalating issues that impact their work
- Occasionally unblock engineers on complex issues via pair programming, whiteboarding and design sessions
- Manage and track engineers on performance improvement plans
- Inter-Departmental collaboration with
- Engineering Managers to ensure collaboration across the Engineering department
- Product Managers to advocate for and ensure the prioritization of technical initiatives
- Cross-Departmental collaboration with
- Local Leadership to represent and communicate engineering initiatives
- Learning team in regards to 1 Year Developer Placement Program
- Success in regards to internal engagements
- Operations in regards to hardware for engineers
- P&C in regards to people issues
- Support with budget creation, monitoring and adherence responsibilities
- 4+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years experience managing and growing software engineering teams as a people manager
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- A strong desire to mentor developers
- Have ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have strong leadership skills.
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.