Maersk is looking to hire a Technical Manager to join our team. He/she will be responsible for maintenance of operational efficiencies in the terminal to ensure availability of equipment required for the execution of day to day operational activities. Provides technical maintenance services and support (tests, calibration, and repair) for various terminal equipment and machines for conformance to established standards. Primary focus is on Reach Stacker, Empty Handlers, Folk Lifts, Generator, weighbridges etc.
The role will provide support to all Sites in Kampala i.e. ECD and ICD.
At Maersk, you'll be part of a global team motivated by bringing food and commodities to people in every corner of the world. We do this through close partnerships with our valued customers, who trade everything from seafood and fruits, to clothes, electronics and cars! No matter our role in the Region our end goal is to simplify the lives of our customers. This is done through seamless processes, best in class digital solutions, and great customer service! So, we offer:
i. Results orientation
ii. Improved commercial and leadership capabilities
iii. Interaction within broader Area for best practice sharing
iv. Creating network within the global organization
v. Understand market and customer drivers
vi. Improve understanding of how best to generate profit for Maersk
Moreover, you will expand your customer network and enrich your market and product knowledge while enhancing the Maersk's leadership position and contributing to the continuous success of the Maersk Uganda organization
- Controls equipment levels to maximize the efficiency and minimize the cost of the operation
- Has responsibility for supervision and directing of 3rd party vendors/labour ensuring that productivity and efficiency standards are met.
- Plans, prioritizes, schedules, and manages equipment activities to rectify breakdowns and malfunctions and minimize business disruptions, downtime of equipment and other installations
- Evaluates, selects, and manages relationships with contractors to minimize costs and ensures the Organisation receives satisfactory standards of service
- Liaises with managers throughout the organisation to coordinate equipment activities with their operations
- Oversees sub-contractors that are working on specific projects related to equipment
- Ensures that the contracts are carried out efficiently and cost effectively
- Has responsibility for the effective daily operation of all machinery and equipment in the Terminal.
- Builds a preventive maintenance schedule for all equipment in the Terminal to reduce damages and downtime on all machinery
- Sets goals and objectives for maintenance services
- Analyses performance statistics and trends in order to identify areas for improvement
- Respond to all critical and emergency issues within the facility and has responsibility for prioritising multiple demands
- Determine need for maintenance and repair, schedules work needed, and budget cost as directed by department manager
- Perform scheduled preventive maintenance and emergency maintenance on material handling equipment and sortation equipment including EH, RS, Generator.
- Examine mechanical and electrical equipment to diagnose, troubleshoot, and schedule for repairs as necessary
- Escalate complex issues to department manager for review and/or approval as appropriate
- Maintain onsite parts inventory to keep the assigned equipment in running condition
- Monitor and reviews the progress and completeness of contracted work
- Report any potential service failures to department manager
- Ensure Statutory Inspection and Certification of all Machines and Equipment
- Supervises maintenance and repairs of machines by appointed contactors
- Periodically checks with Stores to ensure parts availability for repairs and replacements.
- Maintains a neat, tidy and safe work station.
- Follows all safety and health rules and regulations for the work area.
- Informs Site Manager and Machine Operators of equipment status on a regular basis.
- Provide reliable maintenance services to ensure that equipment is in a state of readiness at all times
- Actively participate in relevant Maersk and HSSE Process Improvement initiatives, other Continuous Improvement Programs and initiatives.
- Ensure all subordinates/contractors fully understand and comply with all Maersk and HSSE SOPs
We are looking for
- Requires at least 3-5 years of work experience in technical equipment maintenance section in transportation/logistics industry, heavy equipment industry, or equipment manufacturing or similar related industry.
- Experience and knowledge of terminal mechanical equipment, industrial control systems, variable drive systems, and mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic systems and their controls is an added advantage.
- Requires mechanical and some math aptitude, with ability to diagnose and analyze reasonably complex problems related to equipment
- Requires a collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork.
- Requires ability to communicate technical and operational instructions and information
- Requires an understanding of safety regulations, safe work procedures and safe materials handling procedures and following of safety work instructions. familiarity with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices within marine and terminal operations.
- Requires a high level of planning and organization skills, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates flexibility to meet terminal and all operational needs.
- Makes appropriate decisions; exhibits sound judgment. Creates contingency plans and alternative solutions to problems.
- Identifies and comprehends elements of a problem, evaluates all alternatives and weighs the solutions.
- Requires the ability to follow instructions & plan the work day.
- Requires the ability to be responsive to emergency breakdowns and repairs with quality workmanship and service.
- Must be able to exercise good judgment in order to set priorities.
- Fluent in English and local language (preferred)
- Good knowledge about computer skills" Excel, work, power point)
- Very good skills of understanding and reading (electrical, electronic hydraulic, pneumatic) drawings also follow up diagrams.