NACOSA is a networking organisation that brings communities together to tackle HIV and its impact on vulnerable people. We have a 19 year track record of working with donors, government and communities to strengthen community systems and turn the tide on HIV, AIDS and TB.
The Nurse Mentor position supports and delivers on NACOSA's Adolescent Girls and Young Women, People Who Inject Drugs, and Sex Work Programmes implemented in 7 provinces, reporting to the Clinical Manager.
The key performance areas of the role are:
- Facilitate implementation of health services delivered by implementing organisations through technical guidance and mentoring to professional nurses and outreach/counselling personnel of organisations to expand utilisation and treatment seeking by targeted populations, in line with South Africa's Clinical Guidelines.
- Promote high quality, bio-medical services at local level by implementers by disseminating the most recent clinical service delivery guidelines, protocols and standard operating procedures.
- Assess the capacity of implementers to provide and/or successfully refer clients for clinical care including Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) services, TB screening, ART or PrEP and wellness services.
- Identify the capacity-building needs of implementers, and develop and implement skills development plans through on-the-job training.
- Participate in the revision and/or adaptation of relevant training materials and SOPS for strengthening of clinical knowledge and skills at implementer level.
- Ensure that implementers comply with South African laws, regulations, policies and procedures pertaining to clinical services through on-site visits and routine data quality assessments.
- Keep up to date with the clinical developments in the field and support the development and continuous improvement of ART, PrEP and TB care and treatment services for targeted populations.
- Provide guidance with regard to procurement and supply chain management of health products and commodities such as Rapid Diagnostic Test kits: HIV & Syphilis, Pima CD4 POCT commodities and some pharmaceutical products.
- Keep abreast of developments in HIV prevention and treatment guidelines, especially those for key populations, and ensure that NACOSA programmes are aligned to these.
- Co-facilitate or Facilitate on training: Rapid Test Continuous Quality Improvement (RTCQI), Procurement and Supply Management (PSM), TB Awareness training and any other clinically related training.
- Improve the capacity of NACOSA programme management staff with regard to clinical management of HIV, TB, STIs and SRH.
- Support with procurement and management of GF stock at SR Level
- Maintain affective linkages between technical components and programme management, training, finance and M&E functions within the programmes.
- Develop and maintain constructive and close working relationships with key stakeholders, including the Department of Health at national, provincial and district levels and act as a thought leader in the development and evaluation of clinical service delivery programmes in South Africa.
- Assist Programme and M&E Specialists with consolidation and analysis of data on clinical services so that it informs programme planning.
- Oversight, supervision, mentoring and support of NACOSA Post Basic Pharmacy Assistant.
- Submit periodic reports to the Clinical Manager as required.
We are looking for an experienced Nurse Mentor (Professional Nurse) with a successful track record of programme management.
- Nursing degree or diploma and current registration with SANC
- A post-degree qualification in HIV/AIDS/TB/STI
- NIMART and Dispensing certification is required
- Postgraduate training in Primary Health Care Nursing or Public Health is highly desirable.
- 4 years post qualification experience, with at least 2 years in HIV/AIDS and TB.
- Experience working as a Clinical Trainer/Mentor/Facilitator in a similar role where technical guidance had to be provided to implementers or programme staff will be a strong advantage.
- Knowledge of South African HIV and TB Guidelines including HIV prevention, sexual and reproductive health; HIV Testing Services; TB screening and adherence support.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Proficiency in one or more South African languages besides English a distinct advantage.
- Understanding of the NGO sector and knowledge of big donor processes/requirements will be a benefit.
- South African national or permanent residence is preferred.
- Valid driver's license.
- Competent in MS Office Suite.
- Personal qualities:
oSensitive to issues around key populations at risk for HIV, as well as issues relating to gender and sexuality, and a commitment to evidence-informed, rights-based HIV programming
oCan work without supervision; comfortable with diversity; non-judgmental; flexible.
oMust be highly organised, deadline driven and efficient with planning skills and a proactive and positive approach.
oWillingness to travel extensively.
oAbility to work well in a team environment, and to coordinate multiple inputs to tight deadlines, with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks consider your application as unsuccessful. NACOSA reserves the right not to make any appointment in this position.
- NACOSA respects the privacy of its stakeholders and will treat all personal information provided in line with our recruitment policy and in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act.