APM Terminals is the global terminal operating arm of the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group. APM Terminals operates a Global Terminal Network of 76 operating port and terminal facilities and 117 Inland Services operations in 59 countries around the globe.
We are currently seeking a Chief Commercial Officer to be based in APM Terminals Apapa Ltd., Lagos Nigeria.
The Chief Commercial Officer ensures fact-based understanding and presentation of local market (supply and demand & utilization), local customers and hinterland, capabilities vs competition, switching costs across competition, market rates levels (in a compliant manner), and service provided vs the competition. Translate that into a robust Value Proposition (overall for the terminal and then further tailored for each commercial opportunity). Also, a key member of the terminal management team and has a direct influence on the growth and development of the terminal
The role requires a strong commercial and operational focus individual to drive results and growth by building on the established customer service structure and operational performance.
APM Terminals Apapa Ltd. offers tremendous growth, career and leadership opportunities for those with the ambition, drive and dedication to become one of the best. If you see yourself being part of a team that helps the global economy grow through our worldwide network of customers and terminals, then we want to hear from you!
Working at APM Terminals brings a unique blend of being part of an exuberant, enthusiastic and fast-paced logistics company. You will have the opportunity to be exposed to various fields of expertise, from operations to customer service that will accelerate your development. We believe in encouraging our employees to learn, take risks, and grow their careers.
LOCAL COMMERCIAL STRATEGY:
- As a part of the Operating System, gather and translate Market Data using "Standard Work" from the Global Commercial Function into a clear Commercial Choices.
- Drive and recommend the local Commercial strategy, both short term and long term. Should be focused on the Landside Customer (LSC) and generating new streams of revenue.
- Provides input for decision making and overall Terminal strategy to Global Commercial function and Senior Management Team.
- Establish strategic marketing plans to achieve Commercial objectives.
- Operating as the commercial glue that joins up business decision making with the Commercial and financial impacts and facilitating tough choices as necessary across the business.
- Ensure positive and upward trending NPS.
- Understand and refine the Customer Journey and where the Customer Journey links into local processes.
- Implement processes and technology as a part of the Global Customer Experience initiatives.
- Ensure APMT delivers against agreed standards for each part of the Customer Journey - should be quantifiable and actionable.
- Proactively Co-ordinates customer issues with relevant department & maintains a one-point customer contact.
- Consistently ensure that levels of customer care have been defined in the Customer Journey and that these levels are proactively met.
- Explore methods or solutions to enhance the customer experience i.e. Digital, using global communities and guidelines for local implementation
- Responsible for attracting and retaining customers and ensure development of a highly professional relationship to the various decision's makers within the customer's organization (Local and Country Level).
- Manage and maintain relationships with key accounts, Landside and Seaside.
- Manage development of overall standards and guidelines for Sales & Marketing, including pricing of LSC products, service, promotion, advertising and PR and media.
- Drive the implementation and continuous application of the APM Terminals Sales Process.
- Drive, develop and deploy best practices within Sales & Marketing.
- Identify, develops and oversees business opportunities locally.
- Analyses marketing programs and adjust strategy and tactics to increase effectiveness.
- Ensure contracts are properly signed and administered according to Global Standards.
COST ANALYSIS AND LOCAL TARIFFS:
- Prepare and recommend local standard tariff. Translate changes into revenue analysis.
- Ensure Regional S&P teams have the "incremental cost to serve" for each carrier deal.
- Work with Regional S&P and ensure that "annual increases" are sent early and in line with Global OS.
- Provide download of "Billing Data" to Regional S&P per Operating System.
LSC AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT:
- Drive and oversee the development of new products and services, through the identification, development, marketing of such products and services.
- Identify opportunity for terminal to generate additional income via land revenues.
- Provide leadership and strategy to team.
- Define and track SLA's, KPIs and targets whilst reporting deviations, developing improvement actions where necessary.
- Encourage the use of new processes, procedures and technology to enhance Commercial performance and efficiency.
- Implement, drive and support the Global Commercial Operating System and maintain regular contact with peers from other APMT terminals.
- Accountable for the management and improvement of local NPS.
- Responsible for target preparation, rolling forecasts and monitoring.
• Develop effective Commercial solutions to align with business needs and organize information to develop, compare and assess alternatives.
• Proactively resolves all Commercial issues as they arise.
• Identify and manage Commercial resource requirements, aligned with the terminal Commercial strategy.
• Responsible for efficiently deploying the procedures and human resources necessary to accomplish local Commercial objectives.
• Work closely with the APMT global and local Human Resources Department to obtain clarification, direction, and consultation regarding employee related matters.
• Build a strong team by attracting and retaining talent.
• Ensure Global Commercial Frameworks are implemented and actively supported/coached
• Provide effective overall management, coaching, mentoring and support for all direct reports.
• Create and sustain an environment that is supportive of learning, training and development, whilst facilitating open dialogue and communications so that the terminal commercial activities can run effectively and efficiently.
• Reinforce APM Group culture, values & reputation and ensure compliance with APM Group policies, standards and procedures.
We are looking for
• Understands and can articulate the value of integrated solutions and value based selling.
• Requires a college degree in Business, Marketing or related discipline.
• Successful senior sales experience.
• Proven ability to work in a matrix organization.
• The position requires a high level of knowledge of leading and developing high performing teams, through functional/general expertise gained in Commercial and/ or associated functions.
• Proven direct marketing/sales experience in transportation or related industry.
• Proven track record and international experience within B2B Sales & Marketing.
• Proven stakeholder management both internal and external.
• Proven ability to exercise sound business judgement in order to set direction and establish priorities.
• Proven management experience from the terminal or shipping industry or alternatively related industry within transport or supply chain management.
• Detailed understanding of the various links with other functional areas.
• Requires management and leadership experience from preferably the terminal or shipping industry or alternatively related industry within transport or supply chain management.
• Excellent negotiation and relationship building skills on all levels.
• Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organization.
• Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and promote a team environment to meet objectives.